Jul 12, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog


General Admission Policy

Prospective students are encouraged to call the Enrollment Office to schedule an appointment with an admissions officer and visit the campus.

Goodwin University has an open enrollment policy; however, a personal interview with an admissions officer is required for all interested applicants. Acceptance into the University requires the attainment of a high school diploma, General Education Diploma, HiSET, or equivalent and successful completion of the interview. Admission into the University does not guarantee admission into programs with selective admission requirements. After acceptance into the University and successful completion of all prerequisites, students may apply to the selective admission programs.

Prior to registration, questionnaires for English and Math will be administered to all incoming students enrolling into degree programs and most certificate programs. Matriculating students entering with an Associate’s Degree or higher from another accredited institution are exempt from the placement evaluation. Transfer students meeting the program requirements for English and mathematics are exempt from the questionnaires.

Admission Requirements

Applicants to Goodwin University are required to:

  • Interview with an admissions officer.
  • Complete an Application for Admission to the University.
  • Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee.
  • Arrange to complete the English and Math questionnaires prior to registration, if required. For further information, see individual program pages.

All applicants will be informed of their acceptance or denial within two weeks of application.

Once enrolled for classes, students are required, for data collection and research, to:

  • Submit an official high school, GED, HiSET or equivalent transcript before the end of the first semester of enrollment. All prospective students fill out a High School transcript or GED Request form upon enrollment or request an online transcript from their school. Goodwin University will send this form to the appropriate high school, adult education program, or state GED/HiSET agency. The university will assist students in attempting to obtain an official high school, GED or HiSET transcript before the end of the first semester of enrollment. If an official high school, GED or HiSET transcript (or equivalent) is not received by the end of the first semester, Goodwin University will accept the student’s attestation that they have graduated along with the name of the high school or state agency, city, state and year of graduation, as listed on the student’s admission application, to document that the student is a high school graduate (or equivalent) unless the university has reason to believe otherwise due to receipt of conflicting information.
  • Home-schooled students must provide one of the following:
    • In a state that provides certification, that certification will be accepted in lieu of a high school transcript.
    • In states that do not provide certification, students must provide a transcript or the equivalent, signed by the student’s parents or guardian that lists the secondary school courses the student completed as acceptable documentation of the student’s successful completion of a secondary school education in a home school setting.
    • Home schooled students who have successfully completed a minimum of an Associate’s Degree are not required to submit high school transcripts or certification, but must provide a copy of their official transcript from that institution.
  • Submit documentation of measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chicken pox) immunization/immunity at time of registration, as required. Any student who is not compliant will have a hold placed on all future registration of classes until the documentation is received.
  • Students who will reside in University housing are also required to submit evidence of immunization against meningitis in the past 5 years.

Non-Matriculated Students

Applicants may enroll in courses in a non-matriculated status. Non-matriculated students may take up to 12 credits before matriculating at Goodwin University. This does not apply to students enrolled in the Early College program.


Former Goodwin University students who wish to re-enroll must apply for readmission through the Admission’s Office.

Applicant Advising

Goodwin University helps students achieve their academic and career goals by fostering partnerships between students and faculty, and by providing them with accurate information regarding registration, academic planning, and college policies. Placement evaluations and school records help to build student profiles that are used to assist students with the process of course selection and degree planning. The initial applicant advising contributes to the success of each student by establishing a plan of study for all new students and creating an academic planning document. During the admissions process, all students meet with an applicant advisor to design a plan of study, select courses, and register for the first semester.

International Students

The university website provides prospective and enrolled international students with information on academic programs and student services available at the university and in the local community. Admission requirements for international students differ from domestic student requirements. For complete instructions, contact the Admissions Team.

Among the admission requirements are proof of English proficiency, a Certificate of Finances, translated or evaluated academic secondary and/or relevant university level transcripts. International students may attend Goodwin University on an F-1 student visa. The university will issue the student an I-20 form once all the appropriate paper work and fees are submitted. International students are not eligible to receive any federal or state aid to offset their tuition and fees. Goodwin University’s International Admissions Team can answer questions about the financial process and options.

Enrollment requirements include proof of immunization, mandatory enrollment in Goodwin University’s health insurance program and official transcripts upon arrive to the university. Additionally, the course registration process begins once payment is processed and students have completed their mandatory orientation. Additional placement testing may occur at this time. Undergraduate students must be enrolled full-time - for 12 credit-hours, every semester, unless there are documented and approved circumstances that require a reduced course load. International students must maintain their F-1 status and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress toward their degree. The university webpage provides extensive information for students to refer to throughout their academic career.

Selective Admission Programs

The following programs have selective admission requirements:

  1. Accelerated BSN, Bachelor of Science  
  2. Dental Hygiene, Associate in Science  
  3. Funeral Service, Associate in Science  
  4. Medical Assisting, Associate in Science  
  5. Medical Assisting, Certificate  
  6. Medical Billing and Coding, Certificate  
  7. Nursing, Associate in Science  
  8. Occupational Therapy Assistant, Associate in Science  
  9. Respiratory Care, Associate in Science  
  10. RN-to-BSN Program - Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing  
  11. Licensed Practical Nurse  

Admission to these programs requires the completion of a special application as well as fulfilling all the requirements for admission as listed in the catalog. Please reference the individual program pages for complete admission requirements.

Transfer Students

Students may transfer into Goodwin University for any term. In addition to the admission policy noted above, and before completing their first semester, transfer students are requested to have all previously-attended collegiate institutions submit official transcripts to: Registrar’s Office, Goodwin University, One Riverside Drive, East Hartford, CT 06118. The Registrar’s Office will evaluate the transcripts and once the evaluation is complete, students will be able to view their transfer credit through their student portal and their degree audit.

All Applicant Requirements for Graduate Students

Applicants to Goodwin University’s graduate programs are required to:

  • Complete a graduate application for admission.
  • Pay a $50 non-refundable application fee (waived for Goodwin University graduates as well as all MPH applicants).
  • Provide a professional resume.
  • Submit proof of immunizations (measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella).
  • Submit an official transcript verifying receipt of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the equivalent of this degree from another country with a Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0. To be accepted as official, the transcript must be received by Goodwin University from the issuing institution in either a sealed, unopened envelope and bears the seal of the college or university or via an accepted secure electronic delivery method. Goodwin University cannot accept official transcripts via fax or email, regardless of the source. Goodwin University degree holders do not need to submit Goodwin University transcripts.
    • If an unofficial transcript is submitted, an official transcript conferring receipt of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by CHEA must be received by Goodwin University before the beginning of the student’s second semester. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is on file before the beginning of their second semester. Falsifying or omitting information may result in administrative withdrawal and/or disciplinary actions. Students for whom an official transcript is not submitted to Goodwin University may be withdrawn from the program.
    • Once the University receives official transcripts, those transcripts are covered under provisions of applicable federal and state laws and regulations and cannot be returned to student or forwarded to other educational institutions.

Submission of Transcripts
Official transcripts can be mailed to:
Goodwin University
Office of the Registrar
One Riverside Drive
East Hartford, CT 06118

For expedited submission of official transcripts, students may bring official/sealed envelopes in person to the Registrar’s Office, which is located on the 1st floor of One Riverside Drive.

Applicants with a CGPA less than 3.0 may apply for conditional acceptance. See Conditional Admission.

Conditional Admission for Graduate Students

Applicants with less than a 3.0 undergraduate CGPA may be considered for conditional admittance into the program under certain circumstances. If interested in pursuing this option, the applicant must submit an essay describing the circumstances that would allow success in a graduate program without regard to the undergraduate CGPA. Examples include, but are not limited to, a description of additional work or life experience since completion of their baccalaureate degree, a steadily increasing CGPA from their freshmen to senior year in college, a discussion of successful grades in their major, etc. This information will be reviewed by the program director and, if the review recommends admission, the student will be conditionally admitted into the program.

Students who are conditionally admitted must demonstrate a CGPA of at least 3.0 at the end of the first two courses. Students who achieve a CGPA of at least 3.0 after the second course will no longer have conditions placed on their admission and will then be subject to the University’s standard Satisfactory Academic Progress and withdrawal policies as outlined in the institutional catalog. Students who fail to obtain a CGPA of 3.0 after the second course will be dismissed from the program.